POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : best import format : Re: best import format Server Time
3 Aug 2024 02:21:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: best import format
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Jun 2004 13:10:28
Message: <40bcb884$1@news.povray.org>

news:40bb4028$1@news.povray.org...
> .shade .dxf .obj .rib .lwo .3ds and .wrl

OBJ is a good format :
- it is supported in import by most software (except native Rhino?).
UVMapper only works with OBJ.
- it's a text format so it's possible to open an obj file and look for
problems if necessary.
- obj file are often quite similar in size to mesh2 files. This is useful to
get an early idea (before conversion) of a mesh2 size. It's frequent that I
export an obj, look at the size and then go back to the original app (Rhino,
Xfrog, C4D...) to reduce the number of polys until I get something
acceptable.
- I've run in relatively few problems with OBJ, unlike DXF or LWO (due to
the different flavours available for these formats). The problems I had with
OBJ were caused by faulty exporters, but these problems also exist for other
formats.

3DS is also a good format to consider: it's well supported and binary files
are smaller, but it has a limitation in the number of polys (32000 I think)
for a single object, so large objects sometimes end up being cut up in
smaller pieces or disappear after conversions.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com

--